The Polish Hussars(Polish: Husaria) or Winged Hussars, were one of the main types of the cavalry in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth between the 16th and 18th centuries. When this cavalry type was first introduced by the Serbian and Hungarian mercenary horsemen at the beginning of the 16th century, they served as light cavalry banners in the Polish army; by the second half of the 16th century and after Stephen Báthory's reforms, hussars had been transformed into heavily armored shock cavalry. Until the reforms of the 1770s, the Hussar banners were considered the elite of the Polish cavalry.
Their origin is a mix of western and eastern ancestry. It was once thought hussars where Hungarians recruited from one in 20 twenty peasants(named husz from 20) and fighting in a style copied from the Turks. We can go back even further during the time of the byzantine empire wherein military manuals there are mentioned light scout cavalry troops under the name of the chariot which translated by byzantine historians means hussar.
The polish hussars were modeled after their Hungarian counterparts, the only difference being they were recruited from the upper reaches of Szlachta (nobility). Early Polish hussars were mainly foreign mercenaries known as Racowie or Serbs. Over time, Poland’s hussars grew heavier in horses and weapons becoming medium cavalry, whereas Hungarian hussars remained true light cavalry, and finally, Polish nobles replaced foreign mercenaries.
Information about their armor and clothes we can gather from Stephan Bathory's recruitment letters issued between 1576-1577.
Polish hussars were primarily lancers, but also carried two swords: a short saber szabla worn on the belt, and a long, rapier-like sword koncerz carried astride the saddle and wielded almost like a lance. Many also carried bows, and from 1576 all were required to carry two pistols holstered to the saddle.